überXMHF: Attestation Testbed

This link contains .deb packages. I need a bootable USB stick with 16.04 Ubuntu Linux to install on these machines. For this normally I use .iso file to burn on a USB drive.

Yes, these are the prebuilt kernel and module .deb packages. You will first need to install 16.04 via the .iso mechanism you mention and then install the above .deb packages to get the proper kernel and modules.

ok, I will prepare a USB flash drive and try to do this tomorrow.

This means I need to install a 32 bit version of Ubuntu first, because these packages are 32 bit.
I will grab the 32 bit desktop image then from here:
https://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04.7/

Thanks @antonhristozov ! Do we have any form of network connectivity for the machines yet?

Not yet. I was thinking of registering the 3 devices and using the wireless connection for the Ubuntu installation.

Since the unmanaged Dell macines do not have wireless adapters we need to use a USB wireless device to be able to install Linux on them.

Nice idea :slight_smile: , hopefully the adapter gets detected by the Ubuntu 16.04 installation iso…

The bios of the Dell machine (Precision 3450) does not show a USB option to boot.
It supports UEFI mode. I don’t see legacy mode either.
Are we sure that these machines can run Linux?

Seriously? Did you try pressing F12 or F10 a few times just after powering on with the USB stick in place? It usually brings up a boot menu…

Also can you post a pic of the page shat shows up on screen when you hit the Settings -> General -> Boot Sequence in the BIOS?

Also this post might be helpful: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/BIOS-Setting-to-boot-USB-UEFI-stick/td-p/6239562

Also, you may need to create a UEFI Bootable USB stick with the Ubuntu ISO as described here: Creating an UEFI bootable Linux USB stick | Vanstechelman.eu

Yes, but the problem is more fundamental that I don’t have USB bootable option.

Did the F12 trick work? You need to plug in the USB stick, then power on the machine and then hit F12 repeatedly. It should bring up a legacy boot menu…

Yes, I was able to add USB and bump it up to be first, but it did not read it at all.
I wonder if I need to use a particular USB port too boot from for this machine.

That is a possibility. Usually there are some specific USB ports that are designated for boot that needs to be isolated by trial and error. The other issue might be that you may need to prepare a UEFI USB boot disk as described in the link I posted before.

Booting from the USB does not happen on the DELL desktop.
I tested the USB and it boots fine on my laptop.
There could be something else in the Bios.
Also, there are 7 USB ports for this machine.

Try the following and see if it works:
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000128928/flashing-the-bios-from-the-f12-one-time-boot-menu

This will also update the BIOS to the newest version.

If it presents USB as an option to boot on F12 it means it is recognizing the flash drive. Since its only UEFI, we need the USB disk to have a UEFI boot image.

Are there any USB 2.0 ports? Usually those are the ones that allow for BIOS level booting…