uberSpark next-gen bridges tool versions

The current gcc, gnu-as/ld bridges specify a specific version of the tools. However, the docker files install the current apt gcc package. Should this be changed to specify the version (i.e. install gcc-5 gcc-5-multilib instead of install gcc gcc-multilib for the cc-bridge)?

@Cap, the default install gcc on the alpine distro seem to install the versions specified in the manfiest (e.g., v5.4.0). I am not sure if we can explicitly pin down the version of gcc within alpine…

Perhaps I’m confused. I thought the compiler bridge was a Ubuntu container (not alpine). My question was stemming from trying to understand how important the version is. As I think that currently with an Ubuntu16.04 container install gcc will result in gcc v5.4.0, but if the container were to use the default docker version of ubuntu (18.04) install gcc would result in v7.5.0 of gcc.

My bad @Cap, you are correct, the compiler bridge docker container is based on Ubuntu 16.04.

As I think that currently with an Ubuntu16.04 container install gcc will result in gcc v5.4.0

That is correct and is what we use for the current gcc 5.4.0 bridge

but if the container were to use the default docker version of ubuntu (18.04) install gcc would result in v7.5.0 of gcc.

I suppose it would be nice to have a way to install a specific version of gcc on a given Ubuntu distro. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks!