Commands for Grub2

Hi,

Here are the commands to run uXMHF with grub2. However the HP 2540p reboots when uXMHF goes back to grub2. See if the issue also happens on your machines. And any thoughts?

set root=’(hd0,5)’
set kernel=’/boot/xmhf-x86-vmx-x86pc.bin.gz’
echo “Loading ${kernel}…”
multiboot ${kernel} serial=115200,8n1,0x5080
module --nounzip (hd0)+1 # should point to where grub is installed
module --nounzip /boot/i5_i7_DUAL_SINIT_51.BIN

Logs: uxmhf-logs_0212_2124.txt (42.2 KB)

Configurations: Intel 540M, Ubuntu 16.04.7 (Linux 4.4.236-uberxmhf), Grub version: grub-install (GRUB) 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.29

Moving to the appropriate category. Grub2 is not currently supported, however, we can definitely try to get this support in if you are willing to help out :slight_smile:

Given that the serial log from the micro-hypervisor is not showing any explicit error, I would suggest the first step would be to build Grub2 from sources so you have control over what you can print to the console as Grub2 starts up. This will be useful to debug where things are going wrong.

Once you have built Grub2 from sources and gotten it working (without the micro-hypervisor), I would recommend you try to insert a few debug print statements to the console from within Grub2 starting with the initial stages of initialization when you run with the micro-hypervisor.

You should probably insert a HALT statement (a while true loop for example) so you can slowly see how far in the startup of Grub2 you progress before the system restarts and/or freezes. This will help us zero in on the procedure/instructions causing the issue and once we identify that, we can add suitable support into the micro-hypervisor.

Let me know if you are able to spend time on this; I can definitely help guide you along the way.

Thanks!

I see. I’ll note it in my plan and prioritize these tasks. Will chat with you

Thanks!

On HP EliteBook 2540p, I can use the following configurations to boot uberXMHF (using the hotfix-docs-support-1st-gen-intel-core) branch under Grub2 (the default one, GNU Grub version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.20) with Ubuntu 16.04.7 (Linux 4.4.236-uberxmhf):

Grub2 entry:

set root=’(hd0,5)’
set kernel=’/boot/xmhf-x86-vmx-x86pc.bin.gz’
echo “Loading ${kernel}…”
multiboot ${kernel} serial=115200,8n1,0x5080
module --nounzip (hd0)+1 # should point to where grub is installed
module --nounzip /boot/i5_i7_DUAL_SINIT_51.BIN

However, the same method does not work with my HP 840G1

So Grub2 works out of the box with HP EliteBook 2540p now? Is it working in text mode?

That is wierd. I am assuming you are using the same version of Grub2 and Ubuntu on both platforms. It might be worthwhile to build Grub2 from sources and add some console printf statements/while(1) checkpoints to see where in the Grub2 execution the HP 840G1 ceases to work…